[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Aug 25 13:00:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:38:55PM -0400, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

(speaking only for myself, donning the robes and polishing the crystal...)

	ok, so I'm going out on a limb and will posit that properly used
	in the new period of coexistance, that IPv4 addresses are -NOT-
	going to be the gating factor - claims of "address scarcity" will
	be used by those who wish to exploit fear, uncertainty and doubt
	into monetary gain, either as a direct party or as a broker.

	when all anyone will ever need is a few addresses to gateway into
	the increasingly smaller IPv4 world - there will be an abundance
	of IPv4 space ... (which will still need to be managed/accounted for)

	part of your premise seems to be that the purpose/use of IPv4
	will not change.  And if that premise is correct, then your fear-mongering
	language (dangerouse fantasy, scarcity) is warrented.  And we are
	all in trouble because there are not enough v4 addresses to go around -
	GIVEN that the use/purpose does not change.

	But the use/purpose of IPv4 will change and while there may be some
	uncomfortable points in a transition/coexistance epoch, the end result
	will be an abudnance of IPv4 ... which no one will find interesting.

	in a nutshell - a possible strategy is to repurpose IPv4.
	want another one?

--bill