[arin-ppml] Comprehensive Study Shows IPv6 Shift Isn't Happening

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 25 12:12:38 EDT 2008

Under conditions of limited supply and high demand, the only thing more
unpredictable, unstable and more likely to cause hoarding than a market
is the absence of a market, (i.e., a decentralized transfer mechanism...

But have fun, go ahead and experiment with the idea of using chaos and
artificial scarcity to "force" people into IPv6. I suggest we keep
careful track of who promotes that idea so that when it fails and causes
serious problems we can fully credit them with the results.

them back for free, and market economics in a market with limited
supply and high demand implies not only high prices but also
unpredictability (the last thing that we need) and all kinds of
unwanted behavior such as hoarding.