[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Sat Aug 23 14:21:41 EDT 2008

On 8/23/08 10:40 AM, "John Curran" <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> 2) Normalize WHOIS and in-addr.arpa information - I question whether
>> an LRSA
>> or any other policy is really needed here.  As many have pointed
>> out, there
>> is no commonality of the old records; some have invalid contact info
>> but are
>> still valid, some have totally invalid info, some are routed and some
>> aren't, etc.  With this many discrepancies, and with the historical
>> reference presented by Bill and John, better policy would seem to be
>> a broad
>> statement of "we want WHOIS and in-addr.arpa to be accurate" and
>> then build
>> the tools to help with the process, and understand that there is
>> still going
>> to be a lot of bad information.  Such is life.
>
> There's little doubt that as part of signing the LRSA, the
> records are put in a state of much higher integrity.  This
> benefit, plus avoiding having ARIN's resources (paid for by
> the membership) not used for those who don't participate in
> the organization, are what I have heard most often cited as
> benefits of this approach.
>
>> I would like to see ARIN focus on the end-game of IPv4 and the
>> adoption of
>> IPv6, both through policy and press.  I think all of the efforts to
>> manipulate and control IPv4 space are, as Randy put it, just
>> rearranging the
>> deck chairs on the Titanic, and presents a picture to the public
>> that there
>> are ways to artificially extend the life of IPv4.
>
> The only direct implication of the LRSA with respect to IPv4
> depletion is each legacy holder who signs the LRSA is one less
> block that is subject to being hijacked in the coming period
> of IPv4 free pool depletion.  We can do a lot to refresh
> contact information, but a current contractual agreement is
> the best protection.
>
> /John

I'm not sure I follow the logic.  On the one hand, people don't want ARIN
resources used for maintaining Legacy holders info but, on the other hand,
we want to bring them under ARIN's legal umbrella and therefore incur legal
liability by having the legacy resources under contract.

I return to your email of the original relationship between ARIN and Legacy.
ARIN agreed to provide services to Legacy space for WHOIS and in-addr.arpa.
We should continue to do so.  Anything that happens with Legacy space vis a
vis hijacking, buying and selling, etc. is outside of ARIN's roles and
responsibilities.  We just assign and maintain records for the address space
allocated to us by IANA.  Easy.

Mike