[arin-ppml] LRSA concerns (Re: Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 23 09:44:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> i think you're wrong.

Paul,

Could be. Time will tell.

>  in the future there may be digital certificates
> on route origination, which i expect to be funded and operated through the
> RIR system rather than through the kind of bilateral business arrangements
> you described.

Authentication is one of the bugaboos in the current routing system.
ARIN certainly has an opportunity to be a part of the solution here,
but to succeed it must first convince the vast majority of the legacy
holders to join a contract that that makes ARIN the undisputed arbiter
of authentication. Or convince the major carriers, most of them legacy
holders themselves, to use ARIN as the authentication arbiter anyway.

> i wonder if you found jeff schiller's suggestions to be on-target?  his were
> more specific than yours, and if they represent your position, it would be
> helpful to know this.

>> 1. Arrange for "Legacy" holders receiving services from ARIN (WHOIS,
>>   Reverse DNS) to enter into an agreement with ARIN and to pay their
>>  fair share for the services rendered.
>>
>> I would propose that ARIN consider yet another legacy RSA which only
>> deals with [1] above. It doesn't go into address assignment issues at
>> all (though it may require that the applicant assert that they are a
>> legacy holder and demonstrate it in some way).

I think Jeff's suggestions, this one particularly, move in a positive
direction and would bring additional legacy registrants into the fold.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us