[arin-ppml] LRSA concerns (Re: Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal)

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 22 11:21:44 EDT 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

> I proposed then that a good first step to get legacy holders into the
> "tent" would be a milder contract that didn't put their "rights"
> (whatever they may be now or determined in the future) on the line.

I agree with this approach.

If we all think that whois needs to be updated and this can't be
done without a contract, could a contract specific to whois
maintenance be written as Jeff outlined without the things that
legacy holders are clearly concerned about in the current LRSA?

LRSA-lite could be a lot easier for legacy holders to swallow.
As v4 runout gets closer, I worry about increased hijacking.
The value of database maintenance will then be clear to everyone.

Dale