[arin-ppml] LRSA concerns (Re: Policy Proposal: WhoisIntegrityPolicy Proposal)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Aug 22 00:01:20 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----

>In essence, ARIN's relationship with ICANN and the USG is a whole lot
>like the legacy registrants' relationship with ARIN. They have
>authority over the number resources only because nobody else does.

Astute observation! And as you noted, ARIN and the NRO (and later, the ccTLDs via the ccNSO) were able to negotiate favorable agreements with ICANN because they had legacy rights over resources that no one dared to usurp unilaterally. It was not about what you call "strong consensus," it would be more accurate to say that it was about more equal _bargaining power_ between the parties.

So even though the rationalist and justice advocate in me tells me that the lack of uniformity of rights across legacy and RSA signatories is dodgy and inefficient and troublesome, it also acts as an important centrifugal force that prevents ARIN or other RIRs from becoming a much too integrated and centralized governance authority. Which is (probably) good.

>As a result, ARIN has near complete autonomy,

So how long do you think it will be before that ends?  ;-)