[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Authentication Alternatives

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Aug 20 18:24:38 EDT 2008

In a message written on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:16:09PM -0400, John Santos wrote:
> So don't call it a carrot!
>
> (Not you Leo, you seem to be honestly refering to it as a stick, but
> others have explicitly refered to it as a carrot, when in fact it is
> just a offer to temporarily refrain from hitting us (legacy holders)
> with a stick.)

I believe the current LRSA might be more accurately fall under an
"amnesty provision".

Rather than go out with sticks swinging the community looked to see
if there was some way they could reduce the fear of coming into
compliance.  Just like someone who found a gun in a house they
bought the previous owner left, they might not know how to dispose
of it, or if they can leagally turn it in at a police station without
being arrested.  Legacy holders didn't know if they came into the
ARIN fold if they might immediately have their block taken away
from them because they didn't meet current standards.  Policy
proposals like 2007-17, legacy outreach and partial reclamation
have been further attempts to make the process easier and less
frightening.

So I don't view the LRSA as a carrot or a stick.  I view it as a
way to reassure people that coming into the fold is not something
to fear.