[arin-ppml] Address Range transfer question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 20 00:47:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> Why would Cogent be willing to break up a nice, clean /16
> that they can advertise with a single routing entry, into
> multiple advertisements, just so they can slide these 12
> subnets out of their allocation?

Ted,

Perhaps their original documentation justifying the transfer from PSI
was faulty, since there appear to be a set of legal documents
indicating a different disposition for at least some of the addresses.
Perhaps Cogent doesn't want to have to dig up the original opposing
documents. Perhaps there weren't any; the PSI breakup was pretty
fuzzy. Perhaps Cogent doesn't want to fall afoul of what tends to
happen to large corporations in legislatures when colleges get pissed
off. Perhaps Cogent's best course of action is to ink a deal that lets
them keep announcing the /16 and keep the (large) customer in exchange
for indicating approval of the "correction" to the address records.

Perhaps I'm dead wrong. But it is at least an avenue that Stewart can
explore, one that might yield his desired result.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us