[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Tue Aug 19 21:29:47 EDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> What carrot(s) would you suggest, that would not have the effect of
>> making "faithful" (i.e., complete, accurate, and timely)
>> participation
>> in whois purely optional for all time thereafter?
>
> i am hoping folk will be more comfortable with approaches reached as a
> community as opposed to pontification by old <bleep>s.
>
> but one hint: authentication can be handled technically
>
> randy

Okay I think I get that; hierarchical resource certification would
make "faithful" (i.e., complete, accurate, and timely) participation
in whois less onerous for resource holders, and less costly for all
parties. But in order for that to translate into durably useful,
*public* whois, wouldn't that entail that the certification mechanism
be irreversibly anchored at some level where the public access part of
the equation is assured (i.e., so that there is no chance of it
devolving into a bilateral/reciprocal trust model at some later date)?

I was under the impression that the resource certification
implementation currently under development is agnostic on just this
point... but I'm no expert & would be happy to be corrected.

Thanks,

TV