[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 19 19:12:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Robert E. Seastrom
<ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
> Or fix the RSA...  you didn't say anything about having a problem with
> the apnic's AU$172/year membership fee, and said in so many words that
> the $100 wasn't the problem...  how about we just fix what you (and
> presumably other people as well) find odious about the RSA so that it
> can be an effective tool with more uptake?

Robert,

I'd favor this approach.

What I find odious about the LRSA is that the legacy addresses revert
to ARIN upon intentional termination of the contract instead of
reverting to the status-quo control by the legacy registrant.

The LRSA should be structured so that it serves as a strong check on
ARIN's -future- actions with repspect to the legacy registrations. It
doesn't make the grade. A properly motivated ARIN board would have
sufficient legal wiggle room to do just about anything they wanted to
the legacy registrants with no recourse on the registrants part,
exactly as is the case for modern end-user registrants. Give the
legacy registrant the power to terminate the contract and the
possibility of adverse action by ARIN can never become a serious
threat.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004