[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Tue Aug 19 16:43:29 EDT 2008

> Policy statement:
>
> To ensure the integrity of information in the ARIN WHOIS
> Database a resource must be under an RSA (either legacy or
> traditional) in order to update the WHOIS record.  ARIN will
> not update historical information in the ARIN Whois Database
> until the resource holder can prove the organization's right
> to the resource.

What constitutes proof of an organization's right to the resources? Is
signing a legacy RSA sufficient or is additional documentation
necessary?

> Rationale:

>  Legacy records are frequently out of date and have become an
> increasingly popular target for hijackers.

Either there is data behind this statement or it is hype. If there is
data, it would helpful to have it.

> Having up to date
> contact information and a formal relationship with legacy
> record holders would assist ARIN and ISP's in ensuring these
> records are maintained accurately.

I tend to agree that having up to date contact information is useful,
but how does this proposal help more than an ongoing program to verify
the legacy resource holder contact information?

The way this policy is written now, I am opposed to it. There is
insufficient documentation that it solves a problem that actually
exists.

Keith Hare
JCC Consulting, Inc.