[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Tue Aug 19 14:55:37 EDT 2008

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> writes:

>> I wasn't involved in this proposal's drafting, but I believe it is in
>> the best interests of all concerned (*even* for those who elect not to
>> sign a legacy RSA) to require an action that is prima facie evidence
>> of fraud if it is undertaken by people who are not truly authorized to
>> do so before updating number resources data.  This is not an attempt
>> at a shake-down for $100/year legacy RSA fee, it is an attempt to
>> better protect the assignment records for number resources that are
>> currently assigned to you or your organization.
>
> as i read it, legacy holders are required to sign the egregious rsa to
> get the benefit (the $100 does not bother me).  can you say, "no way?"

If you drive a car which has a reputation for being difficult to
steal, you benefit from the lower theft rate on that vehicle both in
your auto insurance rates and the likelihood that anyone will try to
hork it, even if you persist in leaving an ignition key under the
floor mat.

I believe there is a deterrent value in making a prospective
space-thief create more of a paper trail as part of his criminal
enterprise.  The benefit of that deterrent accrues to everyone
regardless of whether he has executed the legacy RSA or not, because
it raises the bar across the board.

                                        ---Rob