[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Aug 18 11:53:54 EDT 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Member Services wrote:

> Policy statement:
>
> To ensure the integrity of information in the ARIN WHOIS Database a
> resource must be under an RSA (either legacy or traditional) in order to
> update the WHOIS record.  ARIN will not update historical information in
> the ARIN Whois Database until the resource holder can prove the
> organization's right to the resource.

Which is it, the resource must be under an RSA, or the holder must be
able to prove their right to the resource?  These are not the same
thing.

> Rationale:
>
> ARIN currently maintains WHOIS and in-addr.arpa delegation records in a
> best-effort fashion.  In many cases ARIN does not have a formal
> agreement with the legacy resource holders.  Legacy records are
> frequently out of date and have become an increasingly popular target
> for hijackers.  Having up to date contact information and a formal
> relationship with legacy record holders would assist ARIN and ISP's in
> ensuring these records are maintained accurately.  A similar policy was
> successfully adopted in the APNIC region.
> (http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-018-v001.html)

By requiring an RSA, this policy in fact does not implement the
rationale, but actively subverts it.  *MY* whois information is
currently up-to-date and accurate for my legacy /24, but under this
policy, I could not update it in the future if my company offices
move or if someone else were to take over the POC roles, or if, as
has happened in the past, our telephone area code or postal zip code
were to change.

> Timetable for implementation:
>
> Within sixty (60) days of approval - with notification to current POC
> email addresses listed on historical assignments, or as soon as
> reasonable for ARIN staff.

I already get an annual email requiring that I visit the ARIN web site
and update the contact info or confirm that it is unchanged.  What
does this policy bring to the table that that's not already there?
A bigger stick?

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.