[arin-ppml] [ppml] No transfer policies are needed

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Mon Apr 28 17:29:25 EDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 8:47 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
> This is where I disagree that there is any such problem which
> needs solving. I have seen no evidence that organizations will
> start getting rid of any of their IPv4 allocations when they
> can no longer get fresh new ones.
> IPv4 exhaustion will put the emphasis on such
> internal auditing and clawback, but will not, in and of itself,
> free up addresses to transfer.

You're forgetting that large blocks of swamp space are held by the
remnants of long failed companies.  The space is not in use, but it
doesn't cost that person to keep it since they never signed an RSA.

Once they have the option of selling the space, motivation will exist.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation