[ppml] FW: No transfer policies are needed

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Apr 22 10:46:37 EDT 2008

rant warning.  hit delete now.  but you asked!

> Randy -  could you please identify the pros?

not well, because i too am a geek and not a policy expert.  what
differentiates me is that i seem to be one of the few that admit it.

but it looks like a mix of government and civil society folk, heavy on
the former.  heck, in a/p, most of the big nirs are already tied to the
governments, and they have the big lir bases.

> Would this be a different governance model that the current bottom
> up, community regulated model?

yep.  and just because we're thinking with our bottoms up does not mean
we are particularly wise or fair.  others might look at it as amazing
self-protection by established players.

look how long a community of vested incumbents has kept barriers to
entry at the low end.  cathy screamed at me in public when i suggested
small allocations in the first arin denver meeting; when we had an
actual victim there whose business was being severely hampered by our
bottom up policies.  now, when the end is in sight, we are finally
talking about sharing the last orts here in the restaurant at the end of
the universe.  how magnanimous of us.

to be clear, the bald-faced trade we made was protecting the incumbents'
router capital costs by making it hard for folk at the low end.

we are well past the limits of our talents.  read the last year of
gibberish on this list.  how many address policies can dance on the head
of a pin?  it's embarrassing.

> If so, what governance structure do you propose?

darned if i know.  heck, i helped make this mess.  at least i admit it.
 and i am embarrassed.

i just think it's time to stop trying to micro-manage all those dancing
angels, to try to see that the last 'free' chunks of v4 go as fairly as
we can, to let an open market try to get the best use out of the v4
space as we can, to go about making a new fun mess of ipv6 or nats, and
try to figure out how we survive.

e.g. tell me.  what are we gonna do in a couple of years when there is
no more 'free' v4 space to sell, we're giving ipv6 away for free to
'promote' it, and folk are starting to wonder just how much it is really
worth paying for a whois service and dns delegation?  what's the
business plan here?

i wonder if the instinctive fear this future generates is a large part
of why we are turning even more control freakish.

randy