[ppml] No transfer policies are needed

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Apr 18 11:47:09 EDT 2008

> What we're facing with
> IPv4 exhaustion is a requirement for redistribution,...

This is where I disagree that there is any such problem which
needs solving. I have seen no evidence that organizations will
start getting rid of any of their IPv4 allocations when they
can no longer get fresh new ones.

In fact, I believe that the opposite will happen. When ARIN runs
out of addresses to allocate, those organizations who have
addresses will hold on to them TIGHTLY until it is abundantly
clear to their management that the organization's transition
to IPv6 is far enough along that there will be no damage
caused by releasing the IPv4 addresses. This means that there
will be no real need for any special transfer policies until
the IPv4 Internet begins to shrink.

What we are facing with IPv4 exhaustion is a requirement to
leverage the existing supply with creative network design and
a requirement to move activities onto an IPv6 network. Today it
is easier for an organization to go to ARIN for new addresses
than it is to audit their existing supply and fiqure out how to
repurpose the free bits, and claw back overly large assignments
from customers. IPv4 exhaustion will put the emphasis on such
internal auditing and clawback, but will not, in and of itself,
free up addresses to transfer.

Only transition to IPv6 has the potential to truly free up IPv4
address blocks to the point that an organization would sell, or
give them away, to another organization.

--Michael Dillon