[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-21

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Apr 2 14:19:59 EDT 2008

I have not seen much discussion of this proposal, the first one to be
discussed in Denver. I am unclear on one issue.

The proposal states "each of which must be covered by a current ARIN
RSA". Is this the standard RSA, the LRSA, or either of the above. As I
read the proposal, it's either of the above.

Is there any concern with whether this might impact IPv6 uptake,
especially of the LRSA is not acceptable.

Our customers almost all have significant legacy space and two have run
the LRSA past their lawyers and been told that the LRSA is not
acceptable. Since they are multihomed, they will need a direct IPv6
assignment and they tell us that they will not do any work on
non-experimental IPv6 use unless they have a direct assignment.

I don't know how common this might turn out to be or whether it is
really significant in the grand scheme. I am confident that, if the
network moves significantly in the IPv6 direction, our customers (and
their lawyers) will come to look at the situation differently and the
LRSA or even the RSA will start to look more reasonable. :-)

But if there are a large number of potential early adopters who take
this position, it might not be a good thing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)