[ppml] Revision to 2008-3

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Thu Apr 3 13:41:19 EDT 2008

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
[somebody else wrote]
>> In my opinion, the policy needs to at least be specific
>> enough that it does not provide openings to be exploited by
>> PACs, random religious, political, or other groups organized
>> in the interest of furthering an agenda in favor of some
>> subgroup of society.
>
> This goes against the spirit of the ARIN charter, if not the letter.
> ARIN has no justification to create policies which are prejudicial
> against some class of organization. IP address policy must remain
> firmly rooted in the technical requirements of IP addressing.
>
> If political lobby groups, religious organizations, or any other group
> organized to further the agenda of some subgroup of society (say
> Verizon)
> wants to get IP addresses from ARIN, they should get them on the same
> terms as any other group.

It seems to me that the purpose of the proposed change was to
accommodate organizations similar to the old-school "freenets" which
aren't commercial ISPs or political/religious/agenda-driven
organizations.  Something along the lines of a rural wireless community,
a homeowners' association, etc.

I'm thinking about the old days where a group of people in an
off-the-beaten-path dialing area would band together and get a modem
bank and a fractional T-1.  The purpose of the organization was to
provide Internet access to a diverse group in a community as opposed to
an existing group with an agenda adding Internet access as an adjunct to
the agenda.

Such community networks are somewhat of a special case in that they
aren't quite LIRs as they have no "customers" other than the members of
the cooperative, but they aren't end users in that they exist for the
purpose of distributing access to their members (who are customer-like).

IMHO, the best approach to such organizations is to modify the LIR
definition to include them as LIRs.   The technical model is more
ISP-like than end-user-like.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net