[ppml] Revision to 2008-3

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 1 10:38:06 EDT 2008

I will add that 501(c)3 is only one, the most general and common, form of a
non-profit organization recognized by USIRC, several other 501(c)
organizations could legitimately sponsor a Community Network, including a
501(c)6 Chamber of Commerce, 501(c)7 Recreational club, just to name a
few other possibilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)

Further, I could easily see a city or other political sub-division of government
sponsoring a Community Network too, and they are not covered by 501(c) at
all.  So even if you are only dealing with the US, I think specifying 501(c)3
would not be a good idea.  Then if you bring in other countries you probably
can't be more specific than non-profit or not-for-profit.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-626-1818