[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Sep 17 12:22:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:08:54AM -0500, Cort Buffington wrote:
> Yep, that's right. I really don't do enough meaningful networking to
> speak up here. I should have kept my mouth shut.

I don't think that's the point.

>From the sound of it, you've managed to renumber your local environment
fairly easily.  Congrats!  It's nice to hear that someone has had a
fairly easy renumbering experience with IPv6.

Owen's point is valid, though - unless there is some mechanism for
renumbering addresses stored in places not under your control, this
isn't really any easier than with IPv4.  For organnizations that don't
utilize VPNs and don't have their addressess embedded all over the
place, the two are mostly equivalent, although IPv6 has more natural
methods for renumbering in a fairly painless way.

Unfortunately, many orgs are not in that space, and renumbering is hard
and painful.  If there's a broad solution to that problem space, I'd
really like to hear about it.

That, I think, is the point.

-David