[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Sun Sep 16 00:51:36 EDT 2007

Ted wrote:

> If IPv6 is assigned sequentially and it is as big as everyone claims,
> then how soon do you think the RIRs will run out of IPv6 assignments?
> 10 years?  50 years?  100 years?

Well, I think this math is straight forward. If every ASN possible
(currently 65536 or 2^16) requested a /32 of IPv6 space (which is 2^64 *
(the entire size of IPv4 space 2^32) then there would still be 16 bits
of unused space available (minus any reserved space).

Currently the 001 space has been set aside for global unicast
assignment. ARIN has 5 /23s and 1 /12 within this range (according to
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments). That
gives ARIN 1051136 /32 assignments it can assign currently. This is
enough to provide a /32 to every possible asn (even the reserved and
unassigned) more than 16 times over.

However, shortly after ARIN (or any other RIR) runs out of space I
believe your hover car may need its 10 million mile tune-up and my
great-great-great-great-great-grandson can help you out with that. ;-)

> I think it would be very easy to look and find a range that won't be
> even close to being assigned for another 100 years and set up exactly
> the same NAT-based network we have today with IPv4, despite what IETF
> wants.  All you really need is the IPv6 NAT device itself - and
someone
> will build that once there's demand for it.

Feel free to do what you want, but it is very poor form to utilize
something that is not yours to use and when you have issues, don't
complain unless you want a clue stick to the side of the noggin.

- Brian