[ppml] Faster lame delegation removal (was: Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy)

Sam Weiler weiler at tislabs.com
Thu Sep 13 19:55:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Sam Weiler wrote:

> Perhaps some guidance from the staff would be useful here.  Is the current
> policy sufficient for you to clean these up?  Are you reading "lame" broadly
> enough to cover the cases raised by Mr. Von Essen and myself?  Absent
> instructions from the community specifying a timetable[1], how long will it
> take between these being reported and them being cleaned up?  (FWIW, I'd
> prefer to see a short timetable, on the order of two weeks.)

Having been pointed to
http://www.arin.net/reference/lame_delegations.html:

It appears that ARIN is now testing for lame delegations every 30
days, but ARIN waits 30 days before notifying the POCs of the
lameness.  Then ARIN waits 30 more days before sending a follow-up
email.  The lame delegation isn't removed until 90 days after its
detected (and potentially 119 days since it first appeared on the
network, depending on the testing cycle).

That timetable seems needlessly drawn out to me.

I've sumbitted a suggestion (under the ACSP) asking ARIN to send the
first email sooner (2-5 days), send reminders at least weekly, and
strip the lame delegation after only one month.

-- Sam