[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Sep 13 13:21:55 EDT 2007

I disagree.  We have worse than jack because nothing prevents any
network admin from simply picking an unused portion of the IPv6 space
and calling that private and slapping an IPv6 NAT in front of it.

If IPv6 is assigned sequentially and it is as big as everyone claims,
then how soon do you think the RIRs will run out of IPv6 assignments?
10 years?  50 years?  100 years?

I think it would be very easy to look and find a range that won't be
even close to being assigned for another 100 years and set up exactly
the same NAT-based network we have today with IPv4, despite what IETF
wants.  All you really need is the IPv6 NAT device itself - and someone
will build that once there's demand for it.

Ted