[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Eliminate Lame Server policy

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Sep 11 22:52:32 EDT 2007

In a message written on Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 02:10:09PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> 8.	Rationale:
> 		Recent PPML discussion has called attention to the
> 		fact that lame DNS delegations are more an operational
> 		issue than one of policy.  As such, the existing lame
> 		delegation policy should be removed from the NRPM
> 		to remove the resultant confusion.  This is not meant
> 		to prevent ARIN staff from taking reasonable action
> 		WRT DNS operational issues related to resources issued
> 		by ARIN, but, such action can be covered by staff
> 		operational guidelines and is not within the scope
> 		of Address Policy.

With several recent issues staff has indicated a reluctance to take
action if items were not spelled out in the NRPM.  There is at least
one proposal for the next meeting aimed at giving staff more clarity
in the NRPM so they have backing to take action.

As such I could not support this unless staff issued a strong
statement that they would still feel empowered to take on lame
servers if this policy were to pass, and section 7 were to be
removed.  I am afraid passing this proposal would leave them unwilling
to take any action.

I do think there's a deeper issue here, but for now I'm going to
just look at the can of worms and not open it.