[ppml] Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Sep 11 18:58:43 EDT 2007

Brian Dickson wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
procmail is your friend

arin delegates 42.666.in-addr.arpa to the member isp.  the servers
properly respond for that delegation.  this seems to be about as far as
current policy goes; though there are reported gaps in implementation.

the op wants us to say that, if the delegatee further delegates
sub-zones, then the service for those sub-zones must not be lame.

aside from issues of whether the community has the right to descend into
the delegation, how would we text the sub-delegations?  if they are on
byte boundaries, we can probe for them.  but goddesses help us if they
use rfc 2317.  and is it our prerogative to probe 256 sub-delegations of
a /16?  64k of a /8?  and how many of a /32 in ipv6 space?

randy