[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

Joe Provo ppml at rsuc.gweep.net
Sun Sep 9 15:25:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:30:42AM -0700, David Williamson wrote:
[snip]
> I'm sorry, but I don't see how PI space (when used responsibly) is a
> culprit in the growth of the routing table any more than PA space.  The
> real culprit is multi-homing and TE.  Clearly, we should just forbid
> that.  (Yeah, right.)

Assuming global-scope 'TE' by abusing longest-match is the single
most common instance I've run across when discussing fixing the
announcements with the culprit deaggregators over the last decade.
Out of the stack of offered solutions in many fora, providing a set
of well-known communities to allow the standardization of provider-
by-provider often-implemented redistribution communities was the best
I had seen at addressing real operator desires (deaggregation based
TE) and problems (easily limiting the scope of the announcements).
ISTR more generalized approach being discussed in ptomaine/grow,
but rfc3765 seems to be the only result.  However, allowing customers
to tell you how to manage your capacity or finances isn't the same
as "this route doesn't need to be seen N ASNs away".

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE