[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Sep 5 21:30:22 EDT 2007

Brian,

On Sep 4, 2007, at 11:13 AM, briand at ca.afilias.info wrote:
> - breaking the hard limit will most likely result in IPv6 getting
> tossed

Very true.  An interesting point I hadn't really considered.

> So, the short term need, to avoid a "tragedy of the commons" effect,
> where short term is likely 3-5 years, is that O(IPv6 PI) == O(ASNs).
> Meaning, we need to keep PI space down to about 1 per ASN.

According to <http://www.conference.sanog.org/slides/conference/
sanog10-pfs-deaggregation-report.pdf>, we're seeing the
"deaggregation factor" increase "slowly and steadily since 'records
began'", with the fastest growth occurring in the "new" Internet (the
graph on page 15 is very interesting).  Since IPv6 uses the same
routing and traffic engineering technology as IPv4, I am curious what
constraints could be put in place to keep PI space down to about 1
per ASN.  Particularly given PI allocation policies either have been
or are being liberalized in all the RIRs (for sound economic and
business reasons, at least from the perspective of the Internet end
users).

Perhaps more distressingly, if you believe the post IPv4 run out
world is going to be awash with long prefixes taken from holders of
legacy space as IPv4 address space is used more efficiently after
free pool run out, the deaggregation factor of the "old" Internet is
likely going to ramp up quite quickly.  This would seem to imply IPv6
could get strangled long before it could take off, regardless of RIR
allocation policies.

Regards,
-drc