[ppml] Legacy /24s

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Sep 2 19:32:29 EDT 2007

> > I pulled out and leafed through my old "Internet Protocol Next
> > Generation" book from 1997. Do you realize just how few of the design
> > goals have panned out operationally? Its appalling.
>
> I believe the number that panned out would be zero so far, right?

judge for yourself at <http://playground.sun.com/ipv6/INET-IPng-Paper.html>.
i especially like section 11, "IPng Transition Mechanisms", which gets
funnier every year, even without considering RFC 4966.  consider this gem:

	The IPng transition mechanisms ensures that IPv6 hosts can
	interoperate with IPv4 hosts anywhere in the Internet up until the
	time when IPv4 addresses run out, and allows IPv6 and IPv4 hosts
	within a limited scope to interoperate indefinitely after that. This
	feature protects the huge investment users have made in IPv4 and
	ensures that IPv6 does not render IPv4 obsolete. Hosts that need only
	a limited connectivity range (e.g., printers) need never be upgraded
	to IPv6.

that was the face that launched a thousand ships, yes.