[ppml] Legacy /24s

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Sep 1 17:10:03 EDT 2007

> I would like to point out for the millionth time that having PI
> space and taking up a routing slot are *NOT* the same thing.
>
> There are many legitimate uses of globally unique address space
> that don't require routing in the DFZ.  (For example private
> internets either on leased circuits or via VPN tunnels over
> the public Internet.)

while i agree with this, the cause it represents is hopeless.  the IETF
intelligensia has killed, at least for now and probably forever, any hope of
globally unrouteable unique address space.  if ARIN or the RIR community want
to add this feature, it'll have to be done regionally and bottomly-uply.  if
we get an RPKI then perhaps routability could be a routing object attribute,
or something like that.

"unroutable PI" could be a huge relief to a lot of people.  but right now,
with no way to enforce it, the policy development process has to assume that
all PI will be routed, and so, the policies disfavour PI.  i called this "the
tyranny of the DFZ" in one particularly-harshly-worded missive on the topic.