[ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Oct 16 09:35:52 EDT 2007


I don't believe I ever said they couldn't be a member of more than one
registrar.  What I did say is that any netblock should not be advertised
from more than one registrar.  That would create synchronization and
authority problems in any database. 

I think everyone welcomes any IP address holder to ARIN.  

Kevin
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Davey, George [mailto:George.Davey at dmu.edu] 
> Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 4:07 PM
> To: Kevin Kargel
> Subject: RE: [ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ
> 
> I agree with the first half of your argument and well put by the way.
> The end of your argument fades into darconinism.
> One thing is why would you say you respect the pioneer but if 
> he is a member of another new registry he cannot be a member of ARIN.
> Why not?  The legacy allocation is the only thing that 
> requires or compels that person to put those IP space under 
> the new organization because they fit better there than at ARIN.
> New allocations, however, would best fit at ARIN including IPV6.
> 
> Many large companies hold IP space from ARIN and RIPE (global 
> companies) so how do you feel about them?
> Should they be forced to pick only 1 registrar?
> 
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 	 < Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center >	
> 	 
> George Davey, B.S., M.C.S.E.
> Network Administrator
> 3200 Grand Avenue
> Des Moines, IA  50312
> 515.271.1544
> FAX 515.271.7063
> george.davey at dmu.edu
> www.dmu.edu
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:ppml-bounces at arin.net] On 
> Behalf Of Kevin Kargel
> Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 3:52 PM
> To: Owen DeLong
> Cc: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ
> 
> For a more non-violent solution maybe they could just line up 
> at the railing and see just who really can pee farthest..  :)
> 
> I hope though that everyone isn't going into a 
> put-up-your-dukes mine-is-bigger-than-yours mode here.  
> Cooperative anarchy is what has kept the "Internet" working 
> so far, and it will be what keeps it working for some time in 
> the future.  If we lose the cooperative part of that then the 
> whole thing goes to you-know-where in a handbasket.  Put this 
> in the hands of courts and governments and when taxation is 
> implemented to pay for administration none of us will be able 
> to afford connectivity.
> 
> The active community paying to support ARIN is certainly 
> doing their part to keep things going and working smoothly.  
> I think everyone is doing a pretty good job of it.  We cannot 
> forget that the Legacy holders were the pioneers that got 
> this whole ball rolling, and bad things come of dismissing 
> your ancestors.  I am sure there is a solution that protects 
> both the legacy holders and the active ARIN community, 
> without serving one at the others expense.  If we keep 
> working to that end we will work something out.
> 
> I suppose one of the things the Legacy holders could do if 
> they were unwilling to compromise or join the fold would be 
> to institute their own registry (Legacy Registration 
> Authority - LSA?), and see if they offered enough value to 
> the "community" that it would accept routing advertisements 
> from that registry.  This is assuming theLegacy Holders could 
> come to a consensus amongst themselves.  If they did that 
> ARIN could just stop advertising legacy blocks, let the 
> legacy organizations shepherd their own space and sidestep 
> the whole political tar baby.
> 
> Speaking for myself, I would continue to support the ARIN 
> community and accept advertisements from ARIN, and accept 
> only those unique advertisements from the Legacy registry 
> where my customers demanded it.
> I would not accept any advertisements from the legacy 
> registry where they also existed at ARIN.
> 
> I can't see this working, and I don't advocate it by any 
> means, but it may be a less evil alternative to surrendering 
> to government control.
> If the Legacy holders think ARIN is inflexible and 
> dictatorial, I would hate to hear what they thought of a 
> myriad of governmental regulatory agencies.
> 
> Just my two cents worth..  I don't claim it is worth more than that.
> 
> Kevin
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:ppml-bounces at arin.net] 
> On Behalf 
> > Of Owen DeLong
> > Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 3:36 PM
> > To: Ted Mittelstaedt
> > Cc: Randy Bush; Public Policy Mailing List
> > Subject: Re: [ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ
> > 
> > Did I miss an election where Ted was appointed spokesperson for the 
> > entire non-legacy community?
> > 
> > Ted, I really don't think you have any right to speak for 
> all of us, 
> > and, I, for one complete disagree with much of what you 
> have said.  I 
> > think your tone is unnecessarily antagonistic, much as I 
> think this is 
> > true of Dean and Randy as well.
> > 
> > How about the three of you go find a room or a ring 
> somewhere and duke 
> > it out while the rest of us actually continue trying to find a 
> > workable solution in an amicable and respectful manner?
> > 
> > 
> > On Oct 15, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > 
> > >
> > > Well, Randy and Dean, I'm going to address both of you
> > since you seem
> > > to be on the same side here.
> > >
> > > See here.  The non-legacy community doesen't have infinite
> > patience in
> > > dealing with you.  The legacy RSA that is coming up for
> > discussion is
> > > the paying communities attempt to accomodate your desires.  
> > You don't
> > > like it, well frankly not all of us like it either.  You
> > can choose to
> > > participate in the discussion to try to make the legacy RSA
> > proposal
> > > more to your liking or not.
> > [snip...]
> > 
> > Owen
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed 
> to the ARIN 
> > Public Policy Mailing List (PPML at arin.net).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/ppml Please contact the ARIN 
> > Member Services Help Desk at info at arin.net if you experience any 
> > issues.
> > 
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to 
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/ppml Please contact 
> the ARIN Member Services Help Desk at info at arin.net if you 
> experience any issues.
> 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 3107 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20071016/f94f4881/attachment-0001.bin>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list