[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 31 18:09:23 EDT 2007

My guess is if this kind of thing ever came to pass you would see some
kind of "dynamic filtering" come into place.  In other words, the ISP's
BGP peer router would look at ALL inbound and outbound traffic that
passes through it, and automatically modify the filter to allow the
route into the table for any source or destination of any packet going
through the router.  You would set the expiration of the "hole" in the
filter to be proportional to the number and size of the packets and
how long they were coming through the hole.

Oh dear, I've probably done gone and screwed up someone's patent
application.

But I still think that a lot of this is chicken little stuff.  Think
of how many credit card numbers there are in the world, and how any
of them could suddenly appear at some card swipe machine anywhere in
the world, yet the global banking community seems to be able to
handle this just fine.  The hardware exists to do that, it can be built
to do this.

Ted