[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 31 17:02:41 EDT 2007

But But But...

Suppose you have an ISP who has a /20.

He has 3 NOCs.  The first has a /21 assigned, the second and
3rd each have /22's, all of these are out of this /20

The 3 NOCs are fully meshed for failover redundancy in case one
of the providers tanks it, and he has a feed from each NOC
to a transit provider.

He starts out advertising the aggregate /20 to all 3 transit
providers.  But he then finds out that most of the destinations
on the Internet favor 1 transit provider and so most of his
traffic is coming in to 1 of the NOCs and being sent over
the mesh failover links.

He doesen't like this - so he splits the /20 advertisement into
3 advertisements, a /21 and 2 /22's and advertises all 4 out
of each NOC, with prepending on the advertisements that are
not for that specific NOC, (the 4th being the aggregated /20)

If the rest of the world starts filtering out his RIR-assignment
size, then won't his load balancing go right out the window?

Ted