[ppml] IPv4 address and routing slot markets

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Sat Oct 27 13:41:46 EDT 2007

Kevin Loch wrote:
> michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>
>> What business does ARIN or APNIC or RIPE have in allowing or disallowing
>> any kind of route announcements? It is not in the charter of ARIN or in
>> the terms of reference of RIPE. Is there a significant number of ISPs
>> who are about to sign some kind of routing treaty?
>>

> What the RIR's could do is limit subdivision of assignments to
> only a certain level when transferring them.   If you had a /16 you
> could only sell it off in chunks of /20 for example.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.  The exact mechanics
could work in a number of ways:
an across-the-board minimum allocation size, a maximum deaggregation
factor (such as 4 bits longer than the current allocation size, as in
your /16 to /20 example), or more likely some combination of things like
that.  But IMO the most important factor is that we preserve as much
top-level aggregation as possible, to preserve the ability to filter
deaggregates if necessary without losing reachability.

> The current RIR's have the best chance of implementing those kinds
> of restrictions by supporting markets early, but time is running out.

Based on the discussions at ABQ, I think that discussion has now started
in earnest, and that we should continue it here and see if we can get
consensus around a possible policy proposal.

-Scott