[ppml] hegemony, was Re: IPv6 assignment - proposal ...

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Oct 24 19:02:00 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> >Folks in our industry should never forget that the early deployments
> >of 300 baud modems had to be shoved down the 800 lb gorilla's throat.
>
> I don't.  Did you even ever OWN a 300 baud modem, Bill?  I'll bet
> you didn't.

What's your forfeit Ted? You just lost that bet. I know, how about you
send me a USR Courier Dual Standard. I always wanted a modem that
could do both HST and v.32 but even with the sysop discount the dang
things were expensive.

My first modem was a cheap 300 baud pulse dial job that came "free"
with my subscription to "Quantum Link," the precursor to AOL. They
were a tiny company back then, Quantum Computer Services based out of
Vienna VA.

Built themselves quite an empire over the following decade. AOL and
the formerly little guys like them enabled the largest economic boom
this country has seen in a century. All because some judge somewhere
had the good policy sense to tell Ma Bell to stuff it and let the
little guys compete.

And when did the bubble burst? Was it before or after PI addresses
became difficult to get? As I recall it was roughly one business cycle
after. Coincidence? Eh, probably.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--