[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Oct 24 11:17:51 EDT 2007

At 20:58 -0600 10/22/07, John Osmon wrote:

BTW - thanks for sponsoring the last meeting.

>Two questions hit me while I was reading this thread:
>  -- hoarding -- is it hoarding to keep the address block you

IMO - Hoarding is not a situation but intent.  I use hoarding to
describe building up a storehouse of addresses for the purposes of
disbursing them according to some (usually "not in the public
interest") criteria.  If you have "too many" because that's what it
takes to route, that's not hoarding.  If you are waiting for the
market to emerge, that's hoarding.  If an RIR has a huge chunk and is
trying to squeeze it for whatever reason, the RIR is hoarding.
(Alluding to my comments why I didn't like the "last *25* /8s's go
evenly to the 5 RIRs.")

>  -- address run-out -- How much longer could the existing address
>     space last if we could allocate a block of space that is
>     appropriately sized for an end-user's needs?

I'm not sure of your wording.  Address run-out to me simply means
being out of addresses (for the situation).

>If we play towards the router implementations, aren't we setting
>routing policy de facto?

It should be vice versa.  Policy ought to maximize the public good,
which means reflecting the realities of operations, balanced against
developing an unfair playing field.  As can be imagined, there are
local and global "maxima" at play in a complex game, policy should
try to get to the global maxima.

If that means that the policies are seen as impacting the routing
policy, there's some influence.  But I hope the reverse influence is
greater - that the policies drawn up are based on operational reality.