[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Oct 22 15:37:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 08:30:31PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> > Speaking as an ISP..  albeit a small one,
>
> Right, so ARIN will give you a /32 when you ask for IPv6 addresses.
>
> > my plan (when
> > customers start asking for IPv6) is to grant all customers
> > who request more than a host subnet a minimum of a /120, and
> > to be very liberal in allowing shorter lengths.  I will have
> > no problem giving a customer a shorter prefix if they tell me
> > they have a couple thousand toasters in need of IP addresses.
>
> So what are you going to do with all those extra /48s that you are
> hoarding? There is no shortage of IPv6 addresses and since you are a
> small ISP, it is hard to imagine you running out of /48s anytime soon.
> So please tell us why you plan to hoard most of your allocation unused?

	i suspect the hoarding will be an unfortunate sideeffect
	of the /32 v6 allocation size.  sort of like the hoarding
	done by those unfortunate souls who only needed 6 v4 addresses
	but were "forced" to take more (a /24 if they were lucky, a /20
	if they were not) by their address registry.

	its not exactly fair to force people to take more addresses than they
	need and then berate them for hoarding... is it?

--bill