[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Oct 22 12:59:08 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 09:31:36AM -0400, Azinger, Marla wrote:
> 3177 is a recommendation from 2001 and not a standar of any kind.

I'm afraid many people are not looking at the right RFC's and/or
considering what all needs to be changed if the /64 boundary is to
be updated.  I'm fairly sure this is not an exhaustive list, /64
is referenced in many locations in different IPv6 RFC's, many of
which are standards track.

* http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2373.html
  "IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture"

  Section 2.5.1: "Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long..."

  Section 2.5.7: Aggregatable Global Unicast Addresses

  Section 2.5.8: Local-Use IPv6 Unicast Addresses

* http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2374.html
  "An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format"

  Section 3.1 makes it clear the lower 64 bits are an interface
  identifier for

  I also point out section 3.4 makes a recomendation we continue to use
  a slow start method:

    It is recommended that
    organizations assigning NLA address space use "slow start" allocation
    procedures similar to [RFC2050].

* http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2450.html
  "Proposed TLA and NLA Assignment Rule"

  Section 3: IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format

* http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2460.html
  "Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification"

  Section 3: Specifically referrs to 2373 (ADDRARCH)

* http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3177.txt
  "IAB/IESG Recommendations on IPv6 Address Allocations to Sites"

  Section 3: Recomendations