[ppml] Maps of IPv4 ping responses and BGP advertisements

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Fri Oct 19 22:51:05 EDT 2007

The Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern
California recently pinged every advertised IPv4 address - and
printed a map with one 600DPI pixel per IP address.

  http://www.isi.edu/ant/address/

They found about 103 million ping-responsive hosts, which is similar
to the 108 million figure I estimated by extrapolating my random
ping survey results from earlier this year.  My survey concentrated
on the widely different ping-response rates, and statistical
distribution of these, in prefixes of different lengths.

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/host-density-per-prefix/

There are detailed maps, month-by-month, of the IPv4 address space
down to /24 resolution showing how much has been advertised and in
what prefix length:

  http://maps.measurement-factory.com/
  http://maps.measurement-factory.com/gallery/Routeviews/

I read about these two mapping projects via the Mapping-Cyberspace
discussion list www.cybergeography.org/discussion.html .

    - Robin