[ppml] Use of HD ratios (esp. 0.94)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 19 12:53:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>> In terms of allocation efficiency, and utilization requirements, using
>> HD-56 instead of some other kind of HD, unfairly penalizes
>> those who act as good "Internet citizens", and allocate
>> longer prefixes to customers.
>
> Those are BAD Internet citizens who are not following the basic
> architecture of IPv6 which attempts to give each level of allocation,
> more addresses than they could ever need. /48 does that for end user
> networks, and it can be argued that /56 maintains that for residential
> end users.

After years of having to be conservative with IPv4 space, I think its just
hard for some of us to wrap our heads around the idea of giving customers
such astronomical numbers of IPv6 IPs.  2^64, if you don't do the
silly autoconf that wastes half the IPv6 space, is just an insane number
of IPs. 18.4 trillion million if I did the math right.