[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 19 10:11:02 EDT 2007

> I have given this a lot of consideration...
> (As far as I have been able to find out, those two are in
> fact the only two which depend specifically on /64.)

There are also a couple of special bits in the last 64 bits which cannot
be set arbitrarily. And it breaks the basic model which gives end users
enough spare bits to grow their networks without changing their
allocation.

> I have a proposal with the IETF to modify the relevant RFCs,
> so as to allow use of /80 prefixes for autoconfiguration, and
> to tolerate the use of /N (instead of fixed value of N=64)
> for the crypto stuff.

But it is only a proposal and it has met with a flurry of rejections
similar to what you have seen here. In addition, the IETF has pointed
out that it really is not prepared to make such a fundamental change to
IPv6 at this time, and in fact the IETF has closed down the IPv6 working
group and chartered a new IPv6 Maintenance working group which will only
deal with maintenance issues.

>From an ARIN perspective, we should not do anything until and if the
IETF has completed its work.

And, since there is no shortage of IPv6 addresses, we should not be
stingy with them right now.

--Michael Dillon