[ppml] Use of HD ratios (esp. 0.94)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Oct 18 22:57:58 EDT 2007

> The current and proposed texts, all are using, not true "HD", but
> rather, HD-56, where the base unit of measure is /56, or 2^56.

this is the opposite of an accident.  the point is to normalize to a
common measure.

> In terms of allocation efficiency, and utilization requirements, using
> HD-56 instead of some other kind of HD, unfairly penalizes those who
> act as good "Internet citizens", and allocate longer prefixes to customers.

s/good "Internet citizens"/lir which has a different business model or
different customer base/

arin hostmasters can look at both and see if one is merely allocating
inefficiently or actually has a different customer need distribution.
that's why we have humans as hostmasters not equations.

randy