[ppml] Policy Proposals 2007-18 and -23

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Oct 18 17:19:12 EDT 2007

Thus spake "William Herrin" <arin-contact at dirtside.com>
> I would suggest that the more complex the formula, the less likely it
> will be perceived as fair. Thus we seek the fairest SIMPLE formula.
>
> For example, does ANY US taxpayer consider the income tax fair? Yet
> the whole point of the vastly complex deductions was to make it fair.

Is the goal to _be_ fair or to _appear_ fair?

It _appears_ fair that the sheep and two wolves each get an equal vote on
dinner, but the reality is that it's not fair at all.  There are hundreds of
similar examples where trying to make things _appear_ to be fair ensures
that they are not in practice.