[ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sun Oct 14 15:31:00 EDT 2007

On 10/14/07, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> b) The definition of "legacy" address space in the FAQ may be
> confusing given how (at least) APNIC initially operated prior to the
> creation of ARIN.  I might recommend defining legacy address space to
> be something like "address space allocated without a formal agreement
> on the part of the requester and the registry".

David,

Technically, its not even that, at least not as I understand it.
Legacy address space is space which was assigned prior to ARIN's
existance for which for which ARIN currently provides the registration
services (RDNS, Whois). The old /8's, for example, are not ARIN Legacy
Registrants.

> A5. Such resources will eventually be assigned to new applicants who
> can demonstrate the appropriate need for such resources per the need-
> based number resource policies in the ARIN region. If ARIN receives
> more unused resources than are needed in its service area, the number
> resources can be returned to IANA for its use or assignment to other
> RIRs."
>
> I personally believe this to be wholly inappropriate.  IP addresses
> are global resources and returned legacy address space should be
> returned to IANA for disposition according to global policies, not
> returned to ARIN for reassignment by ARIN in the ARIN service area
> according to ARIN policies.

Again, these registrations are already in ARIN-managed space. The
point here as I take it is that if there were some outpouring of
addresses that freed up /8s faster that ARIN registrants consumed
them, ARIN would return those /8's to IANA.

> d) in Q&A 6 of the FAQ (or in a new FQA item) it would probably be
> worthwhile to make explicit what ARIN believes its obligations are,
> if any, to legacy address holders who do NOT sign the RSA.

I respectfully disagree. The whole point is that if you don't sign the
Legacy RSA, your future is uncertain.

But then, perhaps that should be said explicitly: Legacy Registrants
who choose not to sign the RSA will be subject to whatever laws, ICANN
policies and ARIN policies are eventually enacted to deal with such
registrants.

That should scare everybody into signing. :)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us