[ppml] Proposal for the creation of a working group.

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Fri Oct 12 09:45:41 EDT 2007

Dear all:

Just to clarify.
There have been many interesting comments about
the Global Policy Development Process, and I
think that those comments could be the basis for
a revision of that process, but I am not
proposing now to develop a global policy.

IMO at some point, the RIRs have to start to
apply different criteria for allocating IPv4
addresses. In fact, we have already seen some proposals like David's one.
The problem that I see is that it will be
difficult that some RIRs adopt that kind of
policies if the others don't do that.
So, the working group would analyze the issue
from a multiregional perspective  (I am avoinding
to use the word "global") and conclude if a
common proposal could be presented in every
region or different policy proposal for each
region , but based in the same concept and aiming
the same objective, would be more appropriate.

The proposal or proposals should go later trhough
each regional PDP, so this WG would not be an
intereference with the currently established PDPs.

As John commmented in his mail, the goal is to
increase the probability of approval of the WG
suggestions and get all the RIRs moving in the
same direction with exactly the same policies or not.

Raúl