[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Oct 8 17:11:06 EDT 2007

Why?  As ARIN is not legally obligated to the legacy holders to do anything,
any attempt to involve them in a dispute can merely be ignored.  There is
no gain to ARIN to be involved in someone else's lawsuit with some other
person.

>and I think any
>action that
>ARIN takes to get legacy users under ARIN should be taken.

It's already been done.  ARIN has setup the mechanism that a legacy holder
can use to become a member - just contact them and sign an agreement and
start paying the fees.

  This
>would/should/could include free limited membership and any other incentives
>needed.  Is it fair to the newcomers?  In some ways probably not
>but if they
>have to pay increased fees to cover the costs of dispute resolution because
>the legacy users have not joined, they won't be happy about that either.

I would rather pay the legal fees because I am pretty confident that
anything
that comes out of such a dispute is going to result in the Judge telling the
plantiff and defendant that they have to submit to ARIN's rules.  And once a
few cases like that have been filed and rulings like this, there won't be
any
more of these disputes involving ARIN because both parties know that they
will give up their autonomy as legacy holders if they try to involve ARIN.

>I look at this somewhat like Ford's pardon of Nixon.  Was it
>"fair" for Nixon
>to walk?  No but it was better for the country to get past the
>embarrassment
>and back to more important things.

That is very arguable.  The fact that Nixon was pardonded turned off an
entire generation in disgust to US politics.  Arguably, the disillusionment
added to the lower voter turnouts of subsequent presidential elections,
which then allowed minority factions like the Christian Right Wing to
get a foothold and ultimately take over the Republican party and got
Raygun elected.

Imagine Nixon taking dictation from the likes of Jerry Falwell - it would
never have happened in Nixon's time.

The argument that "the country needs to get past..." has been used to
justify a whole host of nasty things in US politics, everything from
treatment of Vietnam Vets to the 2000 election, to the Japanese internment
not being recognized as even happening for almost 50 years...

It is rarely better for the embarrassment to be swept under
the rug.

Ted