[ppml] IPv4 Soft Landing - Discussion andSupport/Non-SupportRequested

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 5 14:25:44 EDT 2007

> A "technical" full utilization would be ALL IP addresses in a
> given CIDR block to be IN USE as either host IPs, network
> IP's or broadcast IPs.
> I believe Michael was using "technically" in it's slang usage
> meaning "virtually impossible in most cases from a practical
> standpoint"

Not slang. The word utilization is technical jargon to network
engineering and operations staff. They use it to mean that a particular
subnet is full, i.e. every IP addr is assigned to a host or an active
switch port or something like that. This TECHNICAL meaning is very
different from the administrative meaning used by ARIN. However, even
though ARIN uses the word differently from the plain English meaning,
they still have not bothered to define the term. This is one of many
vague areas in ARIN policy that leads the uninitiated to misunderstand
what is going on.

--Michael Dillon