[ppml] IPv4 Soft Landing - Discussion and Support/Non-Support Requested

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Oct 5 10:32:44 EDT 2007

At 16:10 -0500 10/2/07, Bill Darte wrote:

>As shepherd of the ARIN Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing, I would like to
>ask the community to once again consider this proposal in advance of the
>Albuquerque Public Policy and Membership Meetings
>(<http://www.arin.net/ARIN-XX/index.html>http://www.arin.net/ARIN-XX/index.html)
>and voice support or non-support
>for this proposal with concise reasoning.

It would certainly be bad to "abdicate responsibility"...

On the one hand I like the way this proposal thinks, but it thinks
like an engineer.  It certainly has the mechanics in it to achieve
the goal of softening the transition pains.

But I also waver over whether it is worth the effort.  At the APNIC
meeting (yes, I know, not "our" region, yet a public policy meeting
none the less) there was a discussion between two proposals.  The two
were similar up to a parameter.  Each proposal mandated that IANA
operate as is until there were either 1x5 or 2x5 /8's left (assuming
the number of RIRs is 5).  Once the last 5 or 10 /8's were left they
were handed out evenly to the RIRs regardless of burn rates.

Of the two, I preferred the handing out of 1 /8 (not the 2 /8).  The
reason is that this approach is largely ceremonial.  While it is true
that the burn rate of a /8 varies region to region, for 1 /8, this
isn't a significant difference.  (There could be a sharp rise in
membership at the lower burn rate organizations, but really, there
isn't much to get at that point.)  In the lower burn rate regions,
the symbolism of being given as much a the higher rate seems somewhat
important.

Those proposals are lightweight work-wise, least command-econonmyish,
have probably the right dose of ceremonial benefit, and aren't trying
to delay the pain of the IPv4 run out.

So, on the other hand, I think that the IPv4 Soft Landing might be
"trying to hard" to protect ourselves.

Ultimately, in a vacuum, it's a good proposal.  But considering other
ideas floating around I have doubt that it's the right mechanism.

As an aside - if we delay the run out of IPv4 by 12 months, is there
an indication that the obstacle to IPv6 will be removed in that 12
month period?
If it is the routing system, will 12 more months improve/strengthen
it?  (I guess I have never understood the rationale for "rationing"
the remaining IPv4 addresses.  They aren't a consumable {water, oil}
and the last won't tide us over until there's a rescue.)
NeuStar

Think glocally.  Act confused.