[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Oct 5 09:46:14 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>    In any case, both legacy holders and ARIN appear to have
>    obligations to the community.  ARIN will certainly do as the
>    community directs, but one wonders if the legacy community
>    would like us all to forget their community obligations and
>    simply pretend that their assignments were done in a total
>    contractual and community obligation vacuum...

John,

Don't take me wrong; I think the current ARIN process is a sound one
and I think it would be healthy to bring as many folks into the fold
as possible. I'm particularly fond of proposals which encourage IPv4
assignments to segue into IPv6 assingments with both coming under the
ARIN RSA in the process.

I don't think the "stick" approach is healthy. Even just having
discussions about discontinuing folks' RDNS creates a comment record
where any legacy registrant lurking about must think we're all a bunch
of a-holes. How that activity and perception furthers ARIN's mission
completely escapes me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--