[ppml] IPv4 Soft Landing - Discussion and Support/Non-SupportRequested

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Oct 5 05:24:49 EDT 2007

Michael,

On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:34 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> As mentioned in a previous note, ARIN staff have told me
>> explicitly that 100% utilization of previous allocations is an
>> existing requirement.
>
> That does not change the fact that 100% utilization is technically
> impossible. That's probably why the existing practice is to only
> audit the last allocation for 80% utilization and ignore all
> previous allocations.

The fact that you believe existing practice differs from what ARIN
staff states is the current requirements raises interesting questions.

I modified my proposal to its current form based on input from ARIN
staff that if my previous version were to be implemented, it would
actually reduce utilization requirements.  If you believe the
existing utilization requirements are "impossible", this is something
that you may wish to raise with ARIN staff and/or via the public
policy process.

Regards,
-drc