[ppml] IPv4 Soft Landing - Discussion and Support/Non-SupportRequested

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Oct 5 01:09:56 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 4:55 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>> I am opposed to this policy for the following reasons:
>>>
>>> 1) No public mechanism is specified for proof of utilization.
>>> 2) No mechanism is specified for continuing proof of 100%

?

> I will remind you that your in a public forum
> and if you take shortcuts to respond to criticism of the proposal,
> it will
> definitely be voted down as people will rightly conclude that you
> have not thought things through.

Thanks for the reminder, although I'm entirely unclear as to why you
think (a) that I wasn't already aware of it (I have been trying to
respond directly to any issue anyone raises) and (b) you felt it
necessary.

> The "mechanism ARIN uses today" that follows up to be sure that people
> keep the additional promises of 100% utilization in a year and
> suchlike,
> that your proposing, were not designed for your proposal.  They were
> designed for the EXISTING IPv4 justification requirements - which
> are laxer than
> yours.  They will need to be changed if your proposal were to work.

According to ARIN staff, current requirements for additional address
space allocations (according to section 4.2.4 of the NPRM) are:

a) 100% utilization of all previous allocations
b) 80% utilization of the most recent allocation

Presumably, ARIN staff have mechanisms in place to verify both
requirements.  If they felt additional mechanisms were required to
meet the increased restrictions the Soft Landing proposal imposed, I
would have thought they would have told me in their comments to me on
the previous draft of the policy.  They did not nor do I feel it is
appropriate for me to tell ARIN staff how to do their job.

> Your proposals drive up the value of IPv4 and thus undercut the
> financial
> incentive to return unused IPv4.

Even if there was a financial incentive to return unused IPv4
addresses (something I think many people would argue), the fact that
IPv4 is nearing exhaustion would do this independent of any attempts
to encourage conservation and promotion of IPv6.

Regards,
-drc